I could go on or I could make apologies, but let’s simply leave it at the
idea that when my brain decides on how to spell a word, no amount of evidence
to the contrary will sway it. So, when Michael suggested The Occasional Blog as
the title for my new endeavor, I wasn’t enthusiastic. But then I thought, hey,
maybe I’ll finally learn how to spell that word correctly.
In college, I had a summer job on campus that provided housing
in an off-campus apartment complex that the University of Redlands owned. My
neighbors, a couple of fellow students also working on campus for the summer,
complained that one of the chairs in their living room was broken. Someone from
housing came to inspect the chair and decided that it was indeed broken. She
promised the guys that she would get them a “new occasional chair” to replace
the old one. Later, Joel confided in me that he didn’t want an occasional
chair. He wanted a chair that was always a chair. It was a joke all summer.
When is an occasional chair not a chair? When it’s a bed, when it’s a chip
holder, when it’s a clothes dryer…you get the picture.
An occasional blog, then, is one that will mostly be a
website where things don’t change. However, on this particular page, I will
make announcements about upcoming events, post pictures, and yes, even blog.
I’m not sure what about yet, so if you have suggestions, shoot me a message. Until
our next occasion, happy writing!
