Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Social Pitch, or How Not to Humiliate Yourself at a Conference: A Workshop Invitation

It's no secret that I love writing conferences. I love being with other writers and complaining about things that no one else in the universe cares about (like, omg, isn't ariel such an annoying font and why are comma splices slipping through the copy edits on books published by major houses?) Also, spending time in the presence of master writers whose work I admire and learning writing techniques from them is incredibly valuable to my development as a professional writer.

But let's be real: most people attend conferences to meet agents and editors.

And let's be even more real: writers, in general, are pretty socially awkward and when faced with an actual agent or editor will often either A. freeze up or B. babble on and on and on.



I'm a babbler, for sure, and have embarrassed myself so many times over the past fifteen years that it's, well, embarrassing.

And now let's be even more realer than before: I've had two agents so far in my career, and both of them were somehow connected to conferences I attended. I've had some major jumps in my writing ability come from brutally honest critiques from agents and editors at conferences--critiques that at first broke my heart but later pushed me to the next level or writing.

We all know to work on our query letters, our blurbs, our synopses, but when a real live editor at a conference says to us, "So, what're you working on?" we can't just recite our carefully memorized one-liner, or worse, two paragraph blurb. Believe me, I've tried. It doesn't work.



So, in an effort to save you, Dear Writer, from the mistakes I've made in the past, Joyce Sweeney (writing coach extraordinaire) and I have designed a one day workshop specifically geared to all things pitching. See below for details. Hope to see you there!


You’re cordially invited to:  
Joyce and Marjetta’s Fantasy Conference
with guest editor Eva Gordon


When: Saturday, March 26th from 10am to 5pm
Where:  Marjetta’s house, email me for address and directions
How much:  $100 includes the full day workshop, continental breakfast, and lunch
What:  A full day of learning the ropes of conference pitching and etiquette


We will spend a full day untangling the myths about pitching, such as what is a blurb, what is a log line? How to pitch formally and informally at a conference, how to write a strong query and synopsis for conference follow up and much more!
Guest editor Eva Gordon will be on hand to supply the editor’s perspective on what it’s like to catch those pitches. Eva will coach you on the right words and approach to make an editor want to request you!
The workshop will include one-on-one coaching on your pitching materials and style, and the day will end with a virtual pitch off!  If your pitch is the best of the day, you win a special prize!

Workshop is limited to 15 people so let us know right away if you’ll be joining us!
marjettag at gmail dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!